HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

I just have to ask...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sparrior09
Common Member
Common Member

Location : Downstairs, in a secret surveilance room even you don't know of...

PostSubject: I just have to ask...   Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:32 pm

Sorry about this. It's not in my nature to make threads questioning the abilities of another player, but...

How the heck did bear90 get the top of the MPN just a week or so ago?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Niwapple is my sexci gurl
Proud Member
Proud Member

PostSubject: Re: I just have to ask...   Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:52 am

i believe it is because he/she has a lot of friends in spore....and they post like uprated him/her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://niwa.com
SpongB6F1
Common Member
Common Member

PostSubject: Re: I just have to ask...   Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:17 pm

Rather than comment on the person you mentioned specifically, I'll just note that it is not at all uncommon for mediocre or even rather poor stuff to make it way up the MPN.
There are 4 main reasons, as far as I can tell:

1--Selective attention. Very many people will give effusive praise to a creation because some limited aspect of it is flashy, or novel, or legitimately good--but if you look at the whole, it does not measure up to an objective standard. Glaringly flawed creations are often held up as outstanding by this failure to judge the full context or to apply standards consistently.

2--PNG rating. Anyone who's spent any time with Spore should know that looking at the real thing in the editor makes all the difference. Fantastic creations can be passed over because of a useless png, and, very often, poor creations can receive high praise and lots of attention because of a flashy png. Laziness or ignorance on this point leads to a lot of skewed ratings. My suspicion is that png rating is widespread.

3--Low standards. The fact is that many people just don't know how to objectively judge Spore creations. The ability to properly evaluate a Spore creation, or, for that matter, an artwork, is not automatic. To do it properly requires some degree of focus and clarity, and some basic knowledge of what to look for. This is why rational reviews and feedback on the Sporum are valued--not just anyone can give useful and intelligent commentary on a creation. For example, many people are not aware of what genuine animal limbs look like in reality, and this ignorance of anatomy leads them to overlook blatantly unrealistic and implausible limb arrangements in Spore. (Even for fictional creatures, a knowledge of what constitutes a plausible limb is important in judging the believability of some made-up configuration.) This is not just a narrow issue of realism or physics--irrational limb structures (in most cases, with important exceptions) detract from the esthetic quality of a creature, whether most people pick up on it or not. On another note, many people simply ignore clipping problems and will gush over something that falls apart into a broken, clippy mess even when standing in place. It is difficult in general to judge exactly how much clipping is acceptable (some is usually inevitable in Spore), but it is certain that you can't just ignore it completely in making your creatures. So, just as most creations in the Sporepedia are objectively bad, most people don't know how to consistently tell the difference (except in obvious cases). Also, some people who should know better simply don't value quality enough to bother with real standards, out of apathy--and, importantly, some are just afraid to give out objectively-deserved criticism even when it's appropriate, so they're dishonest in their feedback.

4--Networking. Certain people have a network of friends and followers, often deservedly so, but sometimes--all too frequently--for reasons unrelated to merit. They simply are sufficiently active in the right places on the forum, or they got a lucky feature, or they get things up on the MPN for any of the above 3 reasons. Either way, it's undeniable that a lot of the same names tend to recur up in the MPN while other, more deserving creations go unnoticed.

For all these reasons, the popularity system in Spore is simply unreliable and non-objective. Sure, you can find a lot of genuinely amazing stuff by going through the MP lists (or the features, despite the often bizarre and lamentable standards of whichever shadowy individuals hold power over that institution...).
But the flaws in the system and the often-irrational results are always there and are a constant source of frustration.

The widespread occurance of these poor, non-objective standards in Spore represents a real disservice to all the people who put forth the effort to produce genuinely great creations--and go unrecognized for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparrior09
Common Member
Common Member

PostSubject: Re: I just have to ask...   Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:43 pm

Thanks, you guys. And I must say, Spong - that was very enlightening. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyle_r93
Proud Member
Proud Member

PostSubject: Re: I just have to ask...   Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:33 pm

Dang. O__O Nice explanation Spong. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpongB6F1
Common Member
Common Member

PostSubject: Re: I just have to ask...   Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:45 pm

Evil Grin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparrior09
Common Member
Common Member

PostSubject: Re: I just have to ask...   Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:20 am

Yes, truly an...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Melonlord
Guild Leader
Guild Leader

PostSubject: Re: I just have to ask...   Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:46 am

Well, I believe this thread is done, then.

Wonderful explanation, Spong. Smile

Locking.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I just have to ask...   

Back to top Go down

I just have to ask...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Masters of Evolution :: Off-Topic Section :: Off-Topic-
Jump to: